Pages

Friday, March 10, 2006

On Readers Become Writers

When readers become writers we can all benifit. But when a writer help a reader become a better writer can be a personally uplifting experience.


I had a cool day at a high school yesterday as a substitute teacher in an art class. Two students, who knew I was a publishes author, asked me to give them some help with their own writing. We did fun general things like story structure and plotting. And I introduced them to two of my favorite writing books, Debra disowns GMC: Goal Motivation and Conflict, and Dwight Swain's Techniques of the Selling Writer. (It was the end of the trimester and the students were pretty much done with their work so I wasn't taking time from something they needed to be doing.) One of the students even came back during his lunch time to chat again.

It is times like yesterday, when I get to share the writing experience with people who REALLY are interested, that re-excite me about my own writing. It is so easy to get wrapped up in the technical aspects of our own writing that we forget the most important person--the reader. And writers are first and foremost--readers.
Cathy Miller - YA Author

No comments: