Pages

Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Name Game

Sunday, October 23, 2011

"Celia, Celia, Celia!"

Sometimes it takes a while for me to respond to my chosen pen name. My true, sign-your-bills name is Christie, like Agatha, but when I started my writing career, I opted to use a pen name.

Reason? I'd been in discussions with friends and family and watched their demeanor completely change when they spoke of certain types of writing. No, not erotica, but the idea still holds true for most erotica writers. My reason for choosing to use my favorite aunt's first name and my maiden name as a last name was to separate my romance novels from other types of writing. So a book written by Celia Cooper is bound to have romance and relationships as the main theme.

My novels written as C. L. Kraemer feature mystery, suspense, fantasy and science fiction. I guess in writing this blog I've given away my secret but that's okay. It is a seldom occasion where I run into readers who will read everything a writer puts out. Nora Roberts and J.D. Robb can attest to that.
Pen names free the author to write whatever strikes their fancy. In this day and age, a woman has as much freedom to write as a man but it wasn't always the case. Hence, many of the literary work produced in the 1800's and early 1900's was the product of women writing with men's aliases.

Personally, I'm thankful to write whatever I please under any name I wish. I'm also glad my writing is appreciated by readers who ask for more. Thank you all for your loyalty... and good taste!

Celia Cooper/C.L.Kraemer
Working to earn the reader's trust with every word written

1 comment:

Echo said...

I wrestled with the idea of writing under a pseudonym mainly because of my occupation in a small town. I kept envisioning a scenario where I'd introduce myself in a professional setting and the patient would say something like: "Oh, are you the Chris Kesting that wrote yada-yada?" And then there would be that moment of silent pause where you're not entirely sure if they'll ask for a signed copy and praise your work, or just vomit in their mouth a tiny bit. Then there was the appeal of people whom you know--or have known--who might discover your work after a "I wonder what so-and-so is up to these days..." moment. So, I opted for half a solution and it's worked out well so far. By using my initials, I've extended my reach through some remote acquaintances, while maintain plausible deniability when the need arises. Besides, the whole initials thing has a mystique to it...

I agree with C.C./C.L.K. about having the freedom to write whatever you wish as whoever you want to be. It's more fun that way!

C. W. Kesting (Chris)