Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

World Of Mirrors


By Judith Copek -- Romantic Suspense, 380 pages
Cover art by Pat Evans; photo provided by Judith Copek
A glamorous high-tech consultant has agreed to retrieve state-of-the art software in East Germany with a colleague and ex-lover who keeps her in the dark. As she navigates a landscape of sociopaths and unrehabilitated Stasi, Zara realizes she's in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong man and no exit strategy.
Excerpt:
“When are we supposed to leave for that island?” I asked.
“Soon.” Had he heard the doubt in my voice? T.K. lit a cigarette and inhaled the smoke. “Now tell me what’s on your mind. Is your divorce final?”
“Very final.” I paused to pick my words. “Our split hurt Chloe more than Taylor or me.”
“And?”
I took a deep breath. “I tried to resign on Monday.” My story came out in a rush of words. “I shouldn’t be here, T.K. I have a little girl who needs me. I need to find a job without travel. And now this murder has me freaked out. I don’t want to get involved in something risky.”
I expected T.K. to react with his typical “oh shit!” and maybe even sympathize or suggest a way out, but he continued to smoke without looking at me.
In a moment I would be weeping. “I really can’t talk about this anymore,” I said, gulping back my tears.
He remained silent. His head was down, and I couldn’t see his face, but I didn’t think my sorrowful confession had pleased him.
“What’s going on in your life?” I asked when he didn’t offer so much as a consoling word.
“Once upon a time there was a pretty woman in Brussels. But since I’m not living there anymore—Zara, did you think I wouldn’t ever wise up to your little tricks on that project last summer? You made me look like an ass.”
“Sorry,” I said, dreading the finger pointing and recriminations. We were both remembering the incident last summer in Berlin. I didn’t believe T.K. wanted to re-hash it any more than I did.
He had spoken in an even voice, and his eyes warned: don’t pull any more stunts like that. Maybe he did carry a grudge.
“We’re colleagues now,” I assured him.
“Understood,” he said. He threw down his cigarette and stood up. I stood, too. Swamped by waves of jet lag, I wanted to collapse and sleep for days. Alone.

No comments: