Pages

Monday, June 18, 2018

Using Google to develop character names.


I don’t know about you but I am always mindful that lawyers seem to lurk around
every corner these days waiting to pounce on the unwary.

When I need to create a new character for my sci-fy novels I put the name into the
Google bar and see what it throws up.  Usually the name is used. (ie There are several famous people who share the future character’s name.)

I try to avoid “used” names for reasons stated above.

Next – Reverse the name (Surname becomes first name and first name become Surname) and pop it back in the Google bar.

Very often the reversed name then draws a blank and could be useable.

To be safe I will then remove or alter a few letters in the proposed name.  After testing the amended name in Google again, I usually develop a weird enough name that is unlikely to create an opening for the legal mind to query.

Andrew R Williams

Author of

Arcadia’s Children: Samantha’s Revenge - Wings
A Practical Guide to Alterations and Extensions - Spon
Domestic Building Surveys - Spon


3 comments:

W.H.Russeth said...

Very interesting. Are character names protected under the copyright law? If I had a detective named Han Solo, would it be a violation?

Rhobin said...

I never thought of names being copyrighted, but I did Google some of my character names, but most didn't show up, but my most recent one did!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy you because of your whole hard work on this blog. My aunt enjoys doing internet research
and it is easy to see why. We all learn all about the lively medium you render very
helpful guidelines by means of your web site and in addition recommend response from other people on the area then my simple princess is undoubtedly starting to
learn a lot of things. Take advantage of the remaining portion of the new year.
You're conducting a splendid job.[X-N-E-W-L-I-N-S-P-I-N-X]I am really inspired along with your writing skills
and also with the format for your weblog. Is this a paid subject or did
you customize it your self? Anyway keep up the excellent high quality writing, it's uncommon to look a great weblog like this one nowadays.