Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

More on Readers

William's post on connecting with readers left me thinking about readers. I am an avid reader and have been since early childhood. I won't bore readers with topics like how reading improves your mind (I'll do that later! ;). I have definite genre preferences in fiction reading: science fiction, fantasy, historical, romance, suspense, and cozy mysteries which pours over into TV and movie preferences. 

Of course these basic genre are now broken into many subcategories. I don't like some directions the different genres I enjoy take over time and stop reading them; historical romance is one, and regular, no explicit sex contemporary romance seems to have changed to Amish Romance. As a reader, I know this is important because decades ago the same basic Regency romance plot kept being told until many readers gave up reading the genre, and lets face it, publication is a profit-based business.

I like stories with direct linear narratives that follow a logical line of forward motion in time, plots written in easy to understand language without constant unannounced flashbacks or switching from past to present tense. I also like stories with changing viewpoint from different characters, but I had better connect with at least one character or situation quickly for me to keep reading. 

I'm not fond of reading in present tense. I also prefer the voice to be third person from a specific character's viewpoint, but have read many first person narrations. I'm not fond of an omniscient voice telling me what to see or notice or think. I do not like being addressed directly with second voice you, either. I might share that preference with other readers as few stories are told in second person. I'm into reading for the story: my emotion and visceral reaction to characters and situations, the identification of the characters for either their goodness or their abhorrent evil; I like picking up clues, guessing what might happen next and the suspense involved.

Right now I'm reading a book that has some of that, but not much. It is a medieval historical with a murder that might be an accident or a suicide, but the narrative constantly jumps backward in time or changes location with little notification. It has its interesting points including a character reputedly doing God's work but who seems more like the devil. The narrating character is eloquent in his description, sometimes too much so.  I keep reading out of curiosity, but can't say I'm enjoying the journey. It is often confusing, stopping me from reading to figure out what happened. It certainly lacks the read-it-over-night compelling interest of some novels I've read.

Here is the point. This is only what interests me as a reader. Every reader is different with different reading preferences. Which is great because, as William said, every writer is different, too, and allows for the amazing variety and ever changing milieu of stories everyone enjoys. Time also affects story tellers and what happens in the stories they tell, yet William was right about connecting emotionally with the reader. The author must pull the reader into the story, and do it fairly quickly. This doesn't have to happen in the first page, but hopefully in the first chapter. Luckily, readers are also hunters on a challenging quest to find the great read.

 

2 comments:

W.H.Russeth said...

Generally agree with your observations, particularly when the narrative jumps forward and backward in time. I think it puts a heavy burden on the reader. I also agree on omniscient character downloads and much prefer to be able to figure what people are thinking and what their motives are via actions and dialogue. First person seems to be looked down on, but I find that the easiest way to lose myself in a novel. It also keeps things linear and easy to follow. Thanks for your thoughts.

Rhobin said...

Thanks, William. I have written in first person once and I agree it is easier to stay focused in the story. I'm never sure who 'they' are that determine what deserves praise and what to look down on, but I often disagree with them. I notice many readers still like first person narratives.