Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Have Digital Books Changed Reading?

I grew up on hard-covered books of printed paper and have a library of probably close to a thousand books today, but I'm also in the process of sorting them out and getting rid of some. Most of those are non-fiction books, although I do have some classic fiction books too. Most of my reading today is done on my Kindle. I'm on my second one.

I like Kindle. They came on the market in 2007 and I bought my first one in 2012. Since then, the majority of my fiction reading has been on that device. I had been reading e-books on my computer almost since they first became available. I love my Kindle for reading fiction because it is less bulky than a paper book. I read in bed at night, and it is lighter than most books and the pages are easier to turn with the touch of my thumb. I can stick my Kindle in my purse and take it with me, and it has thirty books on it right now. I can add more or remove them from the device. I also like that I can search a book to find a certain passage, and can hit the back arrow to get back to where I started. E-books also open to the last page read, another feature I enjoy.
How reading has changed! Yet I still like certain books in paper form, especially those with images.

It is a well-document fact that reading fiction changes readers, opens their minds to new ideas, helps them develop empathy, new knowledge, increases vocabulary, and in general accomplishes many mental feats. All good things; but has device reading degraded this?


Today anyone can read novels on computers, reading devices, or almost any mobile device. Some are wondering if these devices are changing how people read and what they read, and how this has affected writing fiction. During a Nation Public Radio Morning Edition interview with author Lev Grossman, back in 2009 shortly after many reading devices became available, he wondered about readers not having to handle the pages of a book, turning and savoring them. He said digital reading was “Very forward moving, very fast narrative ... and likewise you don't tend to linger on the language. When you are seeing a word or a sentence on the screen, you tend to go through it, you extract the data, and you move on" 


Since the invasion of mobile devices others worry about user distraction, and the devices being more important than talking with the person they are with. I think the dangers of device addiction are known and people are beginning to at least wean their children off their devices, but maybe not themselves.


Does faster reading mean less comprehension? Does it mean readers are not receiving the benefits of reading given from print copies?


My opinion is it probably depends on the genre of fiction I am reading. When reading literary fiction, admittedly not one of my favorite genres, where what is stated and what is implied is so very important, I might like print form better. However, I have discovered digital hasn’t changed my enjoyment or anything else in reading and allows me to become deeper involved in the story even if I have to leave it frequently and pick up where I left off later.




(This blog post is also posted on my personal blog.)

3 comments:

Michael Embry said...

I'm on my second Kindle as well. I love to take it on trips because I can take as many books as I need on one device, and it's sure not as bulky as taking that many printed books. Very portable. I love printed books but I'm also in the process of reducing my library. Most of my purchases are now with e-books, fiction and nonfiction. However, when it comes to reference books relating to writing, I still prefer the old-fashioned kind. Another thing I'd like to note is that Kindles don't last forever. Great post.

W.H.Russeth said...

Agree with Michael 100%. When I first came with Wings, I bought an "Ebook" to download from Wings and Fictionwise . I loved that reader, weighted and ergonomically designed for one-hand use. Anyone still using theirs?

Reachsey said...

Best Earwax Removal Kit Ever
best ear wax removal tool
ear wax removal kit reviews
professional ear wax removal tools
best ear wax removal method
how to use ear wax removal tool
ear wax removal tool with light
ototek loop ear wax removal tool
ear wax removal tool 2018
ear wax removal tool 2019
ear wax removal tool 2020
ear wax removal tool review