Pages

Sunday, June 30, 2019

An Interview with Author Dorothy Bodoin

Author's Website
Dorothy Bodoin on Goodreads

Why did you start fiction writing and what genre(s) do you like to write?
I started writing fiction as soon as I learned to write words and draw pictures to illustrate them. In other words, before I entered elementary school; and I never stopped. I write mysteries because that’s what I always liked best to read.

Why this/these genres? What attracts you to them?
As I grew older and after seeing the movie, Jane Eyre, I was attracted to the Gothic elements in mystery stories. They still fascinate me, along with old science-fiction movies such as The Day the Earth Stood Still and Where Have All the People Gone?
Generally speaking, what is the driving force behind your characters? Have any of your characters changed in dramatic way from what you imagined at the start during the writing process?

My heroine, along with other characters in my series, is driven to help collies in distress and their people, while her husband, Deputy Sheriff Crane Ferguson, has dedicated his life to keeping law and order in his corner of the world. My readers tell me that Jennet has changed over the course of the series. They find her bolder, more willing to take risks, more humorous, and they think she has more confidence in herself. One day I’ll reread my series and see if I can detect these changes.
The first book in my series, Darkness at Foxglove Corners, was intended to be a stand-alone so I didn’t give much thought to how Jennet's character would change.


What do you find the most difficult in finishing a story and approximately how long does it take for you to write a story?

Maintaining enthusiasm for a project is the most difficult aspect of the writing process for me. It takes from four to five months for me to finish a book, depending on what interruptions life throws at me.
Are there other types of writing you do such as non-fiction, or short fiction?
I only write full-length books because I rarely read short stories. I like to spend more time with my characters than the short length allows.

Has your writing affected you in any way and what would you recommend to someone wanting to start writing fiction?

I was always on the introverted side, and my writing has made me more so. I’m happiest when I can stay home and concentrate on my work-in-progress.

I’d advise any one aspiring to write fiction to read. Read in your chosen genre and read anything else that catches your interest. I learned the craft of writing from books like the late Phyllis A. Whitney’s Guide to Fiction Writing and articles in The Writer. Also I studied the work of other writers. If I were beginning a career in fiction writer, I’d take advantage of the many sources for writers on the Internet, including online classes given by successful authors. 

7 comments:

Katherine Pym said...

Well done. Lovely interview with great guidance.

Arlene Messa w/a A. C. Mason said...

Great interview, Dorothy!

JeanneR said...

Thanks for this, Dorothy. I can attest to the changes in Jennet's character. She has embraced her paranormal gifts and become an advocate for the people she helps, rather than just doing so quietly without acknowledgment. She is stronger and definitely more willing to jump into the fray when there is someone abusing animals or other people. I admire the way you've worked the plots that swirl around Foxglove Corners and eagerly look forward to your next book.

Elaine Cantrell said...

Reading if you want to right is great advice. I enjoyed your interview.

Elaine Cantrell said...

LOL, I can't believe I didn't spell write correctly in my first comment. Do excuse my boo boo.

Historical Writer/Editor said...

I agree with that advice as well: read to write, your chosen genre and otherwise. There are such great sources out there. Your work sounds intriguing. Best of luck to you.

Historical Writer/Editor said...

I've posted here before, but it didn't seem to take. Your work sounds intriguing! :) Happy writing!