Pages

Sunday, June 16, 2019

Interview with Author Mary Jean Kelso

Author's Website
Author on Amazon
Author on GoodReads
Author on Author's Den
Author on Smashwords
 
Why did you start fiction writing and what genre(s) do you like to write?

In writing factual material there is no leeway. Facts are facts. I
like to move around more using fiction writing skills to do so. Although
much research goes into my novels, Poetic License can come into play.
I tend to mostly write Western novels. But, like life, there is
Mystery, Suspense, and Romance in them as well.

Why this/these genre(s)? What attracts you to them?


I'm sure my fascination with the Old West comes from having historical
ancestry. My Grandparents on both sides were early day homesteaders. My 2nd Great Grandparents moved to Texas when the Austin Colonies were formed. My 2nd Great Grandfather was killed at the Alamo. My 2nd Great Grandmother and the rest of the family were in The Runaway Scrape when the boy who would be my Great Grandfather was seven. Some ten years later he became a Texas Ranger. I grew up listening to family stories from my dad who was a cowboy before becoming a Southern Pacific Railroad worker.


Generally speaking, what is the driving force behind your characters?

Desire. They have to desire something whether it is a person or a resolution to a
problem. 


Have any of your characters changed in dramatic way from what you imagined at the start during the writing process?

Oh yes! They sometimes make their own way and refuse to be guided by the
keyboard and its operator.

What do you find the most difficult in finishing a story and approximately how long does it take for you to write a story? It can take me anywhere from 3 months to 2 years to write a novel. One took
close to 5 years as I could only work on it in between children's books I was
publishing. For me, the end of the story usually comes to me first. Then, I go to the beginning and see how I get to The End. It might be a backward way to write but, I found out long ago to do whatever works for me. Listening to those who tell you that you can't do something a certain way only fosters Writers' Block, in my opinion. The hardest part, for me, is having enough time to write all there is to write about.

Are there other types of writing you do such as non-fiction, or short fiction?


I have been a photojournalist for many years. I've written magazine articles for
slick magazines and features for local newspapers. I write adult and young adult
novels. Recently, I began illustrating some of my children's picture books.

Has your writing affected you in any way and what would you recommend to someone wanting to start writing fiction?

Writing is beneficial for me in the sense that it keeps me busy and not bored.
I think it helps the writer to cope with everyday life. I would tell someone who wants to write to do it. It doesn't matter if you do it differently. Follow your own inner voice. Don't expect to get rich writing. Few do. It is good for your mind, body, and self-worth -- much more important than money.

Mary Jean 




3 comments:

Agnes Alexander said...

Great post, Mary Jo. I look forward to reading one of your westerns.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting!

MJ

Historical Writer/Editor said...

You have an interesting family history. I can see why it would inspire your work. Thanks for the good writing advice. -laura