Pages

Thursday, May 04, 2006

A Mind is...

"A mind is a fire to be kindled, not a vessel to be filled." Plutarch

Think of it, all those children held hostage in the classrooms waiting for someone to spark their experience -- to kindle their desire to learn. What an awsome baton our instructors are passed. Every mind of every child is certainly unique--how do you kindle so many fires at once. And yet I know teachers who can, and have...

My 5th grade teacher Mr. Milockna (sp -sorry teach) was one such magnificant teacher in my small eyes. In his art class I made a picture of swans on a tranquill pond with lilly pads and -- wait he was the one that told me "it is a beautiful picture, but water lillies are yellow, never pink." He was wrong I learned years later. But then, what it did was it crushed my heart and extinguished a small spark that had started because he was a fabulous teacher - of math, geography, English, but not art...To my small mind - he should have been able to do that too. *sigh* but he couldn't --and years later I remember the picture and the hurt -- but nothing else he taught me, though I'm sure he taught me a plethora of good things.

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential...these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence." Confucius said and I might add, good teachers.

No comments: