Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Nice Girls Can Win by Suzanne M. Hurley

Contemporary Women's Fiction, 382 pages, ebook & print
Cover art by Trisha FitzGerald
Purchase Link for Nice Girls Can Win

Lawyer Jessie White is fired, evicted and jilted, all on the same day. Hitting rock bottom, she moves back home and immediately ends up in a sparring match with 'Red', the hunky guy next door. She soon discovers that miracles really do happen and how love often finds you, just when you're not looking.
Damn! I should never have left that note for Hazel, telling her where I was. But she knew I'd been looking for him and probably figured I could finally get the money he owed.

Excerpt:
"What's the matter? Not glad to see me?" He pouted, looking genuinely hurt. "I've missed you sooo much."

When I still didn't move, he looked around, then said, "How about we go over there in the lobby. At least we'll have a bit of privacy."

"Don't do it," said Maggie, grabbing my arm.

Her voice pulled me out of my trance.

"Have to," I said, shrugging her arm off. The money he'd scammed would sure come in handy right about now.

Somehow, I managed to get up. Jim grabbed my hand, but I shook it free and followed him to an isolated area where a few chairs had been set up to accommodate extra diners waiting to be seated. Fortunately, no one was there.

"I realized I can't live without you," said Jim. "Surely you feel the same?"

"Get real." At last, I found my voice. "You stole from me."

"But I needed it." He never batted an eyelash. Like, the fact he needed it would make it all right.

"It's called stealing. A felony."

"Awwwww… baby, c'mon. We all have failings."

No comments: