Pages

Sunday, May 05, 2019

An Interview with H. L. Chandler

Why did you start fiction writing and what genre(s) do you like to write?

I started writing at an early age, about seven years old. There was no thinking about what to write, I simply wrote the stories that lived in my imagination. As to genre there are many: mysteries, horror, adventure, even some children's stories.

Why this/these genre(s)? What attracts you to them?


Each story that presents itself comes with its own genre. What attracts me is the story, then I have to decide which genre it falls into.

Generally speaking, what is the driving force behind your characters? Have any of your characters changed during the writing process in a dramatic way from what you imagined at the start?

Usually the characters develop depending upon the crisis they face. As the story progresses the characters do change. They either learn from their experiences, or they fail. I think an author gets to know the characters as the events unfold. 



What do you find the most difficult in finishing a story and approximately how long does it take for you to write a story?

The most difficult thing in finishing a story is the same as the most difficult thing at the beginning: sitting down at a desk and getting to work! The time it takes to write a story depends upon self-discipline. :) And the length of the story. It can be three months to even a year. 


Are there other types of writing you do such as non-fiction, or short fiction?

I have some short stories, but mostly stories come in a longer novel form. A instructor once said that authors usually come with a built-in propensity for either short or long stories. 


Has your writing affected you in any way and what would you recommend to someone wanting to start writing fiction?

The recommendation I’d make to someone who wants to write fiction is to study. Learn all the rules. Writing is a craft like painting or carving, learn how it is done. Even more important Write! And good luck to you, everyone has a story to tell.

Visit the author's website  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will right away clutch your rss feed as I can not find your email subscription hyperlink
or newsletter service. Do you have any? Kindly allow me recognize so that I may
subscribe. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hello there! I just wish to give you a big thumbs up for your excellent
information you've got right here on this post. I am coming back to your web site for more soon.