Pages

Wednesday, May 15, 2019

New Horizons

By Michael Embry

Third story in the John Ross Boomer Lit.
Boomer Lit is generally written by and about those born between 1946-1964, the baby boomer generation, and features mature characters dealing with the various issues they faced during their lifetime.

John and Sally Ross’ vacation to Budapest turns out to be more than they bargained for as they encounter unexpected problems in discovering new horizons in their retirement.


An excerpt: 

“I'm so excited about this trip,” Sally said, looking in the vanity mirror on the visor and touching up her cherry-red lipstick. “Budapest should be fun. It's the heart of Europe and a new adventure for us.”

“If you say so.”

“Oh, John, stop being that way.” Her brows furrowed. “You sound like a grumpy old man.”

A wry smile crossed John’s face. “Maybe I am a grumpy old man.”

“Try to be positive.”

John glanced at her. “I'll try.”

“We’ll be back before you know it and you’ll probably complain about that.”

“I don’t think so.”

“Admit it…you don’t like all the drama with Brody and Mother.”

“You don’t either.”

“That’s why I’m looking forward to getting away for a week and a half. You make it sound like we’ll be gone forever. You should be thankful the travel agency allowed us to split your retirement gift rather than take the whole twenty-one days.”

John shrugged. “You’re right. It’s just the idea of being out of control of things going on back here.”

“Just let go and relax.” Sally beamed. “New horizons for us.”

“You sure like that phrase ‘new horizons.’”

“Because it’s part of growing and exploring new things in our lives. You always complained about not wanting to be one of those folks who sit around in a rocking chair all day watching TV.”

“Point taken.”

Sally leaned over and pecked his cheek, leaving a faint red imprint she wiped away with her thumb.

* * *

Michael Embry is the author of thirteen books including nine novels, three nonfiction sports books, and a short-story collection. He spent more than thirty years in the news media, working as a reporter, sports writer, and editor for two newspapers, a national news service, and a regional magazine as well as a book editor.

A U.S. Air Force veteran, he is listed in Who’s Who in America. Embry lives in Frankfort, Kentucky, with his wife, Mary, and two rescue dogs, Bailey and Belle. Among his interests are travel, hiking, writing, reading, music, and family activities, especially those involving his four granddaughters—Lily, Lola, Ellie Cate, and Olivia.

What They Are Saying About New Horizons

This novel has such a realistic feel to it. It’s not of the thriller genre, but I found myself turning those pages, wanting to know what was going to happen next. Even when John and Sally (Ross) return to America from their exciting trip, the suspense is still on, and problems are there to be overcome. These characters handle the difficulties with grace and are to be admired. The issues they tackle are important as well, and the process is entertaining to read about. —Lara MacGregor, Author of The Secret Mask of Truth and The 12th Kiss

For retired baby boomers John and Sally Ross, following through on a wish to experience “new horizons” means a vacation in the beautiful city of Budapest. Complications arise when they must manage their fun time against the demands of a possessive and boorish couple seeking friendship. That, and continuing family complications back home, make this getaway a little less than ideal. Author Michael Embry leaves us both laughing and crying with his flawed but recognizable characters. —Steve Flairty, Author, columnist, and Kentucky Monthly reviewer

“The best Michael Embry yet. New Horizons continues the John Ross Boomer Lit saga as John and Sally Ross go on a whirlwind tour of Budapest. In New Horizons, his latest novel, Embry honestly addresses many of the issues so many boomers face today—adult children who need help, parents who need us more than we need them, drugs, memory loss, and a longing for a simpler, better America. Honest, accessible writing that keeps you turning the pages.” —Chris Helvey, Author of Snapshot

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

I visited several web pages except the audio
quality for audio songs current at this website is in fact marvelous.

Anonymous said...

WOW just what I was searching for. Came here by searching for Fusion Splicers

Anonymous said...

excellet iѕsues altoցethеr, you simply won а emblem new reader.
What could уou suggest about yyour publish that you juyst maԀe a few days ago?
Any certain?

Anonymous said...

Ꮩery energetic post, Ӏ enjoyed that bit. Will there
be a part 2?

Anonymous said...

I really like it when folks get together and share thoughts.
Great site, keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Incredible! This blog looks just like my old one!
It's on a totally different topic but it has pretty much the same layout and design. Superb choice of colors!
I am sure this article has touched all the internet viewers, its really really fastidious piece of writing on building up new blog.
I could not refrain from commenting. Very well written! http://Foxnews.net/

Anonymous said...

Ahaa, its nice dialogue concerning this article here at this website, I have read all that, so at this time me also commenting here.
It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to
be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I desire
to suggest you few interesting things or advice. Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article.
I wish to read even more things about it! I enjoy what you guys tend to be up too.
This sort of clever work and reporting! Keep up the good works guys
I've included you guys to my personal blogroll. http://pepsi.net

Anonymous said...

This can also happen through ownership of spacious and well appointed residence
aapartments or by spending a feew nights at one with the exquisite Villas entirely on rent.
Finally, when you have a high-rise apartment, it might save
your furniture from getting scratched from the cats.
These varieties of condso iin Philippiknes are classified as condominium complexes, and
a part oof what made these forms of housing popular is because
its family-oriented environment, for example its seclusion from the city, privacy, security, andd facilities foor growing children.

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Do you know iff thеy make any plugins to help with
Sеarch Engine Optimization? I'm trying to get my blog tto ran for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeіnbg very good success.
If you know of any please share. Appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

Article writing is also a fun, if you be acquainted with then you can write otherwise it is
complex to write.

Anonymous said...

Digital Video recorder [DVR] A DVR is employed for recording and
storing every one of the CCTV footage captured by the cameras.
To reduce the risk of false alarm, Weight & Size perceivers can be introduced.
There are flying squirrels, fox squirrels, gray squirrels, black squirrels and thus on.

Anonymous said...

It’s perfect time to make some plans for the future
and it is time to be happy. I’ve learn this publish
and if I may I desire to suggest you some interesting issues
or suggestions. Perhaps you can write next articles referring
to this article. I wish to learn even more things approximately it!

I am sure this paragraph has touched all the internet viewers, its really really fastidious post on building up new
web site. I couldn’t refrain from commenting.

Perfectly written! http://nestle.com

Anonymous said...

I have been browsing on-line more than three hours as of late, but I by no means discovered any
interesting article like yours. It’s pretty price sufficient for me.
In my opinion, if all web owners and bloggers
made excellent content as you probably did, the web can be
a lot more useful than ever before. Whoa! This blog looks just like my old one!
It's on a entirely different topic but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Excellent choice of colors!
I have been surfing online more than 3 hours today,
yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me.
In my view, if all webmasters and bloggers made good
content as you did, the net will be a lot
more useful than ever before. http://goodreads.com

Anonymous said...

https://buildyourownshedsite.wordpress.com/2018/04/14/jak-odzyskac-dziewczyne/ https://Articlesbaseblog.Wordpress.com/2018/04/17/dowiedz-sie-jak-poderwac-dziewczyne/ https://buildyourownshedsite.wordpress.com/2018/04/14/jak-odzyskac-dziewczyne/ https://buildyourownshedsite.wordpress.com/2018/04/14/jak-odzyskac-dziewczyne/s music containing substantive, educational messages to maximize their child.
As the latest person in Toy Story series, the
movie tells the story plot of how Woody leads his squad to
have free of day-care center to get back to Andy.
WHERE TO BUYBuying an instrument from the physical retail music store enables you to .

https://buildyourownshedsite.wordpress.com/2018/04/14/jak-odzyskac-dziewczyne/

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. I was checking continuously this weblog and I am impressed!
Extremely useful info particularly the last section :) I deal with such
information a lot. I used to be looking for this certain information for a very lengthy time.
Thank you and good luck.

Anonymous said...

I ddo not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this
post was good. I do not know who you are but definitely you're going to a famous blogger if you aren't
already ;) Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Super-Duper blog! I am loving it!! Wiill be back
later to read some more. I am taking your feeds also

Anonymous said...

Aw, this was an incredibly nice post. Spending some time and actual effor
to generate a top notch article? but what can I say?
I put things off a whole lot and never mannage to get nearly
anything done.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy what you guys are up too. This kind of clevr work and coverage!

Keep up the fantastic works guys I've added you guys to our blogroll.

Anonymous said...

I lile this website because so much utile material on here :
D.

Anonymous said...

Excellent blog here! Additionally your site quite a
bit up fast! Whhat web host are you using? Can I get your
associate link in your host? I want my web site loaed up as
quickly as yours lol.

Anonymous said...

Very good post. I am going through many of these issues
as well..

Anonymous said...

My spouse and I stumblerd over here by a different website and thought I may
as well check things out. I like what I see so now i'm
following you. Look forward to exploring your web page again.

Anonymous said...

And the struggle for the Iron Throne begins.